Preparation & After Care
Prepararion For Your Extension Fitting:
- Thoroughly wash and cleanse your hair before coming for your fitting. It is advisable to use a clarifying shampoo to completely remove any styling products or residue remaining in your hair.
- Come to the appointment with the natual hair, free from any styling products and straightened.
- To have hair extensions, your hair should be a minimum of 3-4 inches in length, just about long enough to put into a ponytail. Ideally, the longer your hair, the easier to integrate. However, shorter lengths can be done.
- It is strongly advised that you don’t wash your hair for at least 5-7 days after having your hair extensions fitted, this is because the bonds/rows need time to set/settle to avoid hair shedding from the bonds/rows in the future.
- Please try to wash your hair a maximum of once-twice a week.
- Always use Sanet Extend Shampoo and Sanet Extend Conditioner recommended for hair extensions only, this is because normal high street brands contain silicone based ingredients which will cause the bonds/tracks to weaken and break down. It is necessary to condition the extension hair to keep it in optimum condition, it is vital however that you do not get conditioner on the actual bonds/tracks as they will become very weak and fail. You can purchase the shampoo and conditioner in the salon before or after your fitting.
- Smooth the shampoo down the extension hair and never rub as this will cause tangling. Wash your hair upright and never tip your extensions to wash over a sink or bath, pat hair gently to remove excess water.
It is best to use a Hair Extension Brush, this is because normal brushes with balls on the end can rip and break the hair, this brush is available to purchase within the salon and online. Try to brush your hair everyday but not more than once as this will cause unnecessary shedding. You will often see hairs coming off on your brush or when you wash your hair, this is perfectly normal. When brushing it is important to hold the bonds/rows to support them, this prevents excess tugging on the extensions.
Hair extensions should be kept in for no longer than 3 months at a time, this is because when they grow out, it is easy for them to become matted. Removal is completely safe and does no damage to your own hair.
- You may find that immediately after having your hair extensions fitted, they may feel uncomfortable when sleeping where the bonds/rows have been attached, this usually disappears after about 2-4 days where you will hardly notice them. Please persevere with them and you will notice the results!
- To have hair extensions, you must be willing to take care of them properly, they need careful washing, conditioning, brushing and straightening to avoid any damage. We cannot stress enough the importance of looking after them, if you feel that you need any aftercare advice please do not hesitate to contact us at any point and we will be happy to help and/or resolve any issues you may have.
Some clients experience itching to the scalp, this is perfectly normal! Remember that having hair extensions isn’t a natural process, your head has to adjust to having them
If you do see any of your own hairs coming out after having your extensions fitted, don’t panic! These are due to the natural daily shedding of your hair, but you will notice it more because you have had extensions fitted, we find that most of our clients’ hair improves quality after having hair extensions because they are doing less heat/product damage during the three months of having them.
It is advisable to put your hair into a loose plait when sleeping, this will minimise tangling and knotting when you sleep.
You can style your hair extensions just as you would with your normal hair, you can straighten, curl, blow-dry, dye, crimp and cut them because they are human hair. Please use Sanet Extend Deep Conditioning Mask and Sanet Thermal Serum to help replenish condition lost when styling.
- If using a sun bed wrap your hair in a towel to protect the bonds/tracks and the extension hair. Whilst on holiday try not to get extension hair wet, if it does come into contact with chlorine wash your hair immediately.
- We do not suggest colouring our Extension Hair but please note if you decide to colour the hair, this is done so on your own discretion. We cannot accept any liability for hair colouring gone wrong.
It is strongly advised that you have a maintenanceappointment halfway during your extension period e.g. 4-6 weeks. This will allow us to look at your hair to see how you are getting along with the extensions and to remove and replace any loosened bonds/rows to ensure that you can keep your extensions for longer. If you don’t come in for maintenance, we cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to your hair, as it is your responsibility to look after them properly using our aftercare guide for advice. It is possible for you to re-use the extension hair and have a full fitting again at a reduced price.